problem with upgrade to edgy ubuntu

Ruihua Fang aprilnyus at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 20:16:58 UTC 2007

Hello, I inherited a computer with Ubuntu 5.10.  I had
tried to install gcc and had a series dependency
problems.  Then I decided to upgrade it to version
6.10.
  The following is what I had when I tried to upgrade:

1. sudo sed -e 's/\sdapper/ edgy/g' -i
/etc/apt/source.list

2. sudo apt-get update
   it complained could not resolve
'my.favorite.cran.mirror'

3. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

4. sudo apt0get -f -install
   It said that the following packages will be
removed, which are a lot of packages.
  Then it said the following essential packages will
be removed.  This should NOT be donw unless you know
exactly what you are doing!
  I did not continue after this.
  There is no data I need to save on this computer.
Is it possible that I could just do a fresh install of
Ubuntu 6.10 or do I need to uninstall the old version
first?  Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Ruihua