Enable SCSI support for SD card reader?

talmage at somtel.com talmage at somtel.com
Mon Apr 9 01:42:25 UTC 2007

If you're using the 2.6.20-14-generic kernel SCSI support is built-in.
If you take a look at /var/log/dmesg you should see some evidence of this.
I recently upgraded to Feisty as well, and there are some changes as
to how mounted devices seem to be handled.  I had a devil of a time
tracking down my CDROM which used to be referred to as /dev/hdb.
Searching around the lists and bug reports, all I could come up with
was it should be considered /dev/scd0, which seemed a bit odd, and in
any event didn't work.
I finally tracked it down as /dev/sr0.
It also seems as though the SCSI drivers are being used for my EIDE
drives now too.
Take a look with df to see what your mounted drives are being called now.
I haven't tried my external USB hard drive yet, but I believe it used
to be /dev/sda, which wouldn't work now, so it must be something different.
I guess when the time comes if you don't get a more definitive answer
before I need to use it, I'll start trying to mount it as /dev/sdb1
and go on from there.
You may get a clue from dmesg, if your reader was plugged in at boot,
as to what it is being called these days.
You also might get some useful info if you go to a terminal screen
and see what messages come up if you do a hot plug of the
device.  There are surely some other log files which may shed some
light on the subject, but at least this is a starting
point.  Hopefully, someone else will point out some simple program,
or place to look, that will probably turn out to be so obvious that
I'll smack myself for not thinking of it earlier, but ...

HTH

Dave