[feisty] Any workarounds for totem screen blanking during movies?

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed Apr 4 18:22:44 UTC 2007

On 03/29/2007 07:40 PM, Michael R. Head wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> Glad that worked. This has been around since Dapper & there probably is
>> another bug # floating around somewhere.
>
> Interesting... it's only cropped up for me in feisty (and it doesn't
> happen on my edgy boxes at all).

My response on Jan 14 to a related post ("disabling power management in
edgy"):

<quote>
ken gross wrote:
> > here is my problem, and from what i have found out through the forums,
> > google, and various other places, this is a serious thing that needs to
> > be addressed:
> >
> >  i have disabled all power management settings in edgy, including
> > commenting out the dpms section in xorg.conf, and doing the setterm
> > settings, but my monitor will still go to sleep after about 15 minutes
> > of inactivity! this is very annoying when trying to watch a movie as
> > many others have experienced.
> >
> > what i would like to know first of all, is there some setting i may be
> > missing, and secondly, is there a plan in the works to correct this
> > flaw? by the way, i am using an ati radeon 9600 with fglrx driver.
> >
> > thanks in advance for any help

Give this a try:

Under Applications|Add/Remove|System Tools
install "Configuration Editor" / command line is "gconf-editor"
this is the Gnome configuration editor.

Click to expand the apps folders & then scroll down and open up the
"gnome-power-manager"
  set the following to 20000 (or however many seconds you feel
comfortable with:
   - ac_sleep_computer
   - ac_sleep_display
unclick the last setting: "use_time_for_policy" if it is checked.

The above worked for me in Dapper.
</quote>

Forgot about that one.