SSH Server Problems

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Sep 30 21:41:01 UTC 2006

Carlos,

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 17:22 -0400, Carlos Alberto wrote:

> On 9/30/06, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> > First thing to do is to type 'netstat -l -t' in a terminal and see if
> > anything is listening on port 22.
>
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
> tcp        0      0 localhost:2208          :                     LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 localhost:55759         :                     LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           :                     LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 :ssh                   *:                     LISTEN

This looks slightly different to similar output on my machine running
Dapper.  I have *:ssh for the local address and *:* for the foreign
address on the ssh line. I'm not sure what this means or if it makes a
difference!

> I checked the logs and nothing related to SSH found. All i could see
> were messages like this:
>
> Sep 30 17:08:02 DEC-U gconfd (root-8125): Resolved address
> "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only
> configuration source at position 2
> Sep 30 17:08:02 DEC-U gconfd (root-8125): Resolved address
> "xml:readonly:/var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults" to a read-only
> configuration source at position 3
> Sep 30 17:08:02 DEC-U gconfd (root-8125): Resolved address
> "xml:readonly:/var/lib/gconf/defaults" to a read-only configuration
> source at position 4

I don't think any of this is relevant to ssh.

> I can connect from within the computer itself but not from the ouside.
> I am not currently at home so i had to ask my wife do all this for
> me,. She was able to access the localhost but i was still not able to
> access the server from the outside. I have the firewall disabled now.

This sounds like either a firewall problem (which you've disabled, so
rule that out) or the ssh daemon is not listening properly. Take a look
at the first few lines of /etc/sshsshd_config and look for line starting
ListenAddress. On mine it's commented out, so ssh listens on all
interfaces from any network. You will need to restart sshd if you change
anything in this config file.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold