Video card comparison

Anthony Yarusso tonyyarusso at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 30 18:27:54 UTC 2006

I ordered a used/recertified computer the other day, and am pondering
things I can do with it.  Additionally, in a somewhat odd closet
finding, I have recently acquired a box of computer parts.  The computer
comes with "Integrated Intel 845G" graphics (PCI and AGP slots still
open), with specs as follows:

    * 15-pin VGA output on planar
    * Uses system memory for video memory
    * Uses Intel Dynamic Video Memory TechNonelogy (DVMT)

640 x 480, 16M colors (60, 72, 75, 85, 100, 120 Hz)
800 x 600, 16M colors (60, 72, 75, 85, 100, 120 Hz)
1024 x 768, 16M colors (60, 70, 75, 85, 100,120 Hz)
1152x 864, 16M colors (60, 70, 75, 85, 100 Hz)
1280 x 1024, 16M colors (60, 75, 85, 100 Hz)
1600 x 1200, 16M colors (60 Hz)
1920 x 1440, 64K colors (60, 75 Hz)
2048 x 1536, 64K colors (60 Hz)

The box of components mentioned contains an ATI Rage 128 card (that's as
much detail as I can tell about it, help identifying more would be
appreciated).  What I'm wondering is this: How do those two cards
compare, and might it be worth trying to install the ATI one in an open
slot?  What happens if you have two different video cards installed?
Additionally, the PC is "low form factor", which from what I've been
able to gather means it needs about a 3 inch bracket on cards instead of
5 inch.  The components are all regular sized; can I get the smaller
brackets for them somewhere?  (The video card in particular just has one
9-pin serial output through the bracket, btw.)