Ubuntu on AMD64

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Thu Sep 28 08:12:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 03:18:43PM -0400, Colin Kern wrote:
> I've been using Ubuntu on my desktop system for about 5 months now,
> and I love it.  I'm getting a laptop this weekend with an AMD 64-bit
> processor, and I was wondering how, if at all, Ubuntu changes on a
> laptop and a 64-bit architecture.  How is the hardware support?  Are
> the same software packages available through Synaptic/apt-get as with
> a 32-bit system?  Any comments on this would be helpful.

After trying out the 64-bit version of Ubuntu for a few weeks, I have
decided to go back to the 32-bit version.  Too many things just did not
work and I had to spend a lot of time to get workarounds.  Some of the
problems were:

1.  My sound did not work well on the Nvidia-chipset.  On the 32-bit
    version there is not a problem.
2.  The Framebuffer-graphics on the console did not work properly.
3.  I had to use a 32-bit Firefox to get flash to work.
4.  I could not get my scanner (using a third party program "Iscan") to
     work.
5.  I could not use Skype, Ekiga or Gizmo.  Ekiga because of 1 and the
    others had to run in 32-bit mode.

So I spend some time in reinstalling my system and there are a lot less
problems now.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when
      he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which
      the Lord hath promised to them that love him."
                                          James 1:12