RealPlayer

peter peter at petebox.com
Sun Sep 24 21:03:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 15:52 -0500, mtyoung wrote:
> This is the message from Synaptic Package Manager.
> Real Player (installer)
> Real Player is a streaming sound and video player from RealNetworks.
>
> RealNetworks does not allow redistribution of their software. Therefore,
> this package requires the user to fetch the real player archive separately
> from their web site. When you install this package you will be guided
> through that process.

> Which, combined with it's being pulled from EasyUbuntu, leads me to
> believe that RealPlayer has asked that it be removed from all of the
> repositories.
>
> mtyoung
<snip>

Forget using apt, forget using synaptic.
applications -> add/remove

Wait

Tick show commercial applications.

Wait whilst the program does its business.

Enter RealPlayer in the search box at the top.

Tick RealPlayer 10 in the list of applications.

Select OK
wait

and your done.

The add remove program is a little slow and simple but works great for
install a large number of applications and is always my first port of
call with synaptic as a fall back

Peter