Wifi network problems

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Sep 23 14:59:19 UTC 2006

Recently (since Edgy - but I'm not at all sure it's really related), I've
been having network problems with wireless.

For a while, it seemed:

# ifdown eth1;rmmod ipw2200; modprobe ipw2200; ifup eth1

would fix it.  Now I find that on initial startup KWifiManager will show me
that I'm associated to my AP but have no IP.  "sudo dhclient eth1" will
give me an IP - and then the interface goes down completely!  Only
rebooting, or sometimes hibernate/resume, will bring it back.

I think it's probably a hardware problem, but short of finding a USB or
PC-card NIC to test out, I don't know how I can test it.

Any ideas?
--
derek