Sticky GRUB problem

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sat Sep 23 19:08:26 UTC 2006

Frank McCormick wrote the following on 23.09.2006 20:13:
> Somewhat of a confusing problem but try to follow along with me :)
>
> I have Dapper on one partition (hda3) and Edgy on another (hda2). GRUB is in the MBR. Whenever the Dapper kernel is upgraded, GRUB updates the menu.lst in Dapper, but
> not in /boot/grub in EDGY, so I have to manually add the new kernel to the EDGY menu.lst. As a matter of fact because GRUB is in the MBR, the Dapper menu.lst is not even referenced. It's there because GRUB used to be in the partition.
>
> Is there a way around this manual cut/pasting?
>
> Thanks

ls -l /

There you should have symlinks like this:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    28 18.09.06 23:15 initrd.img ->
boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-k7
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    25 18.09.06 23:15 vmlinuz ->
boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-k7

e.g.
You usually boot from Edgy (hda2) and use it´s grub, right?

Then you should have an entry there for dapper like this:

<--------------------------------------------------------
title           Dapper
root            (hd0,6)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-k7 root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-k7
savedefault
boot
-------------------------------------------------------->

but instead of pooting with absolut path to the image you can use the
link in / (which gets updated automatically)

Your entry would then look like this:
<--------------------------------------------------------
title           Ubuntu II TEST
root            (hd0,6)
kernel          /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet
initrd          /initrd.img
savedefault
boot

Please note these are examples from here. Do not plain copy it over in
your own config - and before doing so make backups.

bye Thilo
--
i am on Ubuntu 2.6 KDE
- some friend of mine