upgrade to breezy 5.10 problems

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Sep 23 08:37:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 21:10 -0500, Johnny wrote:
> I did apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade

As a general rule, when upgrading from one release to the other, you
should never use apt-get upgrade, but always dist-upgrade. apt-get
upgrade cannot remove packages, which is a vital action during a release
upgrade.

Also, it is better to use aptitude instead of apt-get since it is better
at dependency resolution.

As a side note, make sure that ubuntu-base and ubuntu-desktop are
installed, they are required to be during a release upgrade.

> Running newaliases
>  * Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent... postfix/postfix-script:
> fatal: the Postfix mail system is already running
>
> [fail]
> invoke-rc.d: initscript postfix, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of lsb-core:
>  lsb-core depends on postfix | mail-transport-agent; however:
>   Package postfix is not configured yet.

The dependency problems are follow-up errors, I wouldn't care about them
right now. The -f action is not needed in this case because the problem
are not broken dependencies, the problem is that the upgrade of the
postfix package fails, and this is what needs a solution. In fact this
is a known problem for 5.04 -> 5.10 upgrades, read the upgrade
instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BreezyUpgrade

As said on this page, you could start with reinstalling the package with
"aptitude reinstall postfix" or, if this does not help, remove it
completely (aptitude purge postfix; caution, this will delete all
configuration files of postfix, back them up if you made elaborate
changes), then install it again.

Once postfix is installed correctly try aptitude dist-upgrade.

Post the result here.

P.S.: In case you want to upgrade further from 5.10 to 6.06, read and
follow the upgrade instructions here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DapperUpgrades
For 5.10 -> 6.06 the recommended upgrade method is to use the Update
Manager application instead of the command line tools, it does many
things automatically and its dependency resolution algorithm is
specifically targeted to this particular release upgrade.