Kubuntu 6.06 , Firefox. install

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 18:17:47 UTC 2006

Replies below (top posting here not preferred):

On 9/21/06, Rein A. Smit <rein0zn at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>    Hi Tod,
>

> Thanks for info.
>
>   I am not at the machine with Kubuntu, so will answer
> whether Firefox is there or not. But I looked for it
> whether it had been installed with the standard install
> and did not find it. Could be well my mistake.
>
> Let me address the Ubuntu/Kubuntu issue.
>
> I wanted to put Ubuntu on an old Pentium 200 MHz with 1024
> Mb. Again, I knew that would be marginal but did not think
> it would be THAT marginal. Never got it to work in Xwindows.
>
> So then I went to the P4 machine and as my previous experience is
> with KDE, I decided for the Kubuntu version.
>
> I am well aware that there is Office and Spread sheets and tons
> of other programs. What I intended to say is that if I click on
> a .pdf or .doc or mp3 or what have you, as an active link in a
> WEB page, I want the browser to be able to handle that. ( such
> as open Adobe reader or some .ppt reader, mp3 player etc ) without
> having to download the file then open Adobe by hand.
>
>     http://www.konqueror.org/
>
> Konqueror does do these functions I noticed now.
>
> Firefox is, as is Netscape and IE with all its other drawbacks.
>
> Will get back on whether Firefox is installed or not. If nothing
> else, on a version to be used on the WEB, I should think that a browser
> as Firefox, would be listed under "Internet", and it is not in Kubuntu.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rein
>

> Tod Merley wrote:
>
> > Reply below:
> >
> > On 9/21/06, Rein A. Smit <rein0zn at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> >>    Hi Tod,
> >>

> >>Thanks for answering.
> >>
> >>Let me make first some observations.
> >>
> >>I guess, you are right on the Browser. I have been using Firefox
> >>on all my windows machines and had it also, I believe, at one time
> >>on a Debian or SuSe10.2 machine. If I remember well, it came as part
> >>of the installation.
> >>
> >>I have here some 1600 pages from three Linux books and out of those
> >>1600 pages text, there are as much as 5 pages on Firefox, nothing
> >>on installation what so ever. Just wondering why that is.
> >>
> >>Also I thought that Firefox came out of the Linux world so to say.
> >>But that appears not to be true.
> >>
> >>I really like to get a Linux machine that will do all the tricks
> >>I want while serving, pdf's, doc's ppt's, sound formats, image formats
> >>etc etc. This is what I have with here Netscape7.2 on my windows
> >>machines I never have used Explorer on the WEB.
> >>

> >>Here is the "flame" part. I would think that if Ubuntu is or were
> >>such a replacement for XP or even Win98 that I am still using here,
> >>these capabilities would be part of Ubuntu or would be easy to add
> >>or integrate?
> >>

> >>My computer here, dedicated for Linux, is a P4 with 256 MB at
> >>the moment, will get 512 or even 1024. It works fine with
> >>Konqueror.
> >>
> >>Kubuntu, the for free CD installed in 20 minutes or so.

> [...]
Hi again Rein!

I regret the "grumpy old man" tone of my previous post - please forgive me.

For your old P2 I would be interested in your results with Puppy Linux:
# looks like there may be a lot of fake sites, I believe this is real -
http://www.puppylinux.com/

If you really do have 1024 Mb (mega bytes) which would be a gigabyte
then I am encouraged that you will have good results.  However that is
a lot of memory for a machine that old.  Maybe, I hope so.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of experimenting.  Cool.

I do not consider Linux in the same sort of camp as XP and similar
software.  OSS is a community project for the good of the community.
XP is a software product.  They "compete" only in the loosest of
terms.  In a perfect world they would help one another do what they do
better.  I hope that can be someday!

Have a lot of fun!

Tod