file permissions

dimis ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Sep 22 16:20:57 UTC 2006

I don't get it. Is this bug fixed?

I am running kernel 2.6.15-26 and not ...-27 because the last 2 days I
have internet my repositories seem to be down ... :(

Anyway, I noticed the same problem with umask.

I can "force" permissions on shell by editing the .bash_profile and
setting umask to 077.

However, no matter what I do on /etc/login.defs with umask, the problem
remains on my window-session. My umask settings are 022. :(

I can easily verify this if I re-edit .bash_profile and comment out the
line about umask, or try to save a file downloaded from somewhere around
the net.

So, 2 questions:

1) Is this bug solved in 2.6.15-27 kernel and I just have to wait some
days?

2) How can I make it not start a window session by default? i.e. just a
plain login screen (shell) where I can enforce umask settings with
.bash_profile parameters and ... hopefully ... these parametes apply
when I launch a window session with startx?

Thank you in advance for any help,

- dimis -

--
dimis