Programming in C (and C++)

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 19 07:26:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 16:42 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 08:34 +0200, Petar Milin wrote:
> > Thank you all for good advices. Nevertheless, if I start using some
> > editor (I prefer gedit or vim) and makefile and/or gcc, the only thing
> > that bothers me is how to do debugging; how to get error-lines, like in
> > MS Visual C++? Is it built-in gcc?

> If you want something that will let you step through execution, you
> could use gdb (the command line debugger for gcc), but you are really
> WAY better off investing the time and effort to get familiar with a good
> IDE. It will save you vast amounts of time in the long run. Many IDEs
> also offer hints and even automatic fixes for many common errors.

gdb takes a bit of getting used to and runs in a terminal window. If you
want a GUI based debugger, you could try 'insight'. It's a GUI front-end
to gdb basically.

But as others have said, getting ot grips with an IDE is probably worth
the effort. Personally, I prefer Anjuta. It's not too complicated, uses
automake etc to generate makefiles and configure scripts which means you
can take the directory tree everything is in to a machine where you do
not have Anjuta and still work on it. It's also got a neat source code
debugger.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold