Programming in C (and C++)

Erik Christiansen erik at dd.nec.com.au
Tue Sep 19 08:44:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 08:26:05AM +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:

> gdb takes a bit of getting used to and runs in a terminal window. If you
> want a GUI based debugger, you could try 'insight'. It's a GUI front-end
> to gdb basically.

There's also ddd, as an alternative GUI front-end to gdb. I've mostly
used it for embedded systems, but it's doubtless good for linux too.

> But as others have said, getting ot grips with an IDE is probably worth
> the effort.

Hmmm ..., unix is the IDE, for this coder. With vim, exuberant ctags,
make, and a few strategic printf statements thrown in for debugging, all
that is needed for good code is: good customer requirements, good
design, careful implementation and checking, then an analytical mind to
minimise the effort of bug hunting. All followed by independent testing.
;-)

My suggestion would be to try both tool approaches, before choosing.

Erik