Can I run MS Word XP from Ubuntu

Saurabh Moghe moghe.saurabh at
Mon Sep 18 12:25:28 UTC 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at>
To: ubuntu-users at
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 5:09:08 PM
Subject: Re: Can I run MS Word XP from Ubuntu

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:26:56 +0100
Saurabh Moghe <moghe.saurabh at> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >  How can we run Microsoft Word XP from Ubuntu Dapper.
> >
> > May I ask you what is wrong with
> > that you need to use a
> > privative, expensive, closed-source software like Office?
> >
> Hi, Saurabh,
[...some wine, but not for drinking purposes...]
> Hi,
> I think I will go for Crossover as the task is urgent.
> Thanks for the help.
> Saurabh.

You're wellcome.

For what it is worth, tired of fumbling endlessly with
the 03 viewers from Microsoft, I just installed the MS-Office 97
viewers for excel, powerpoint and word on my wine computer. Did
not take one minute for each install.

And I have yet to find a .doc, .xls or .ppt that they cannot
display in "the correct Microsoft Way" ;-)

This, in combination with OOorg 2.3 offers the possibility to do
anything office related in Linux, at least for me. ;-)

ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users at

Actually I have the MS Word docs that have a template and header and footer. It also has an index. I don't have any problem reading through the doc. The problem arrises when I have to write to the doc. The index  has links to the exact page. those links are damaged. I can't change the text in the header and footer.