Editing the GRUB

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 03:03:42 UTC 2006

On 9/16/06, Sameera Shaakunthala <shaakunthala at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What are the availeble colors for the GRUB boot loader?
> Although I have used the basic colors (such as red), the menu still appears
> in it's default color.
>
> * Shaakunthala.
>

>  Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Hi Shaakunthala!

Ok, my guess is that the "colors" option only affects the boot menu.
What we see is probably refered to by the end of the kernel line (hit
escape during the countdown to see the menu):
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
For which I can find no reference in the GRUB Manual:
# I used the PDF in Adobe and searched for "splash" - 0 results!
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.pdf
# But I did find this which may well interest you!
http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/
# And it's apparent source
http://www.bootsplash.org/

Have a lot of fun!