From CRT to LCD

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Thu Sep 14 14:44:49 UTC 2006

Richard Brown wrote the following on 14.09.2006 16:21:
> Hi Thilo
>
> On Thursday 14 September 2006 15:05, Thilo Six wrote:
>>> To enable the driver, run "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable".
>
> Thanks for that. The driver wasn't installed so I downloaded and installed.
> However when I come to run the above command I get this error:
> Error: your X configuration has been altered.
> This script cannot proceed automatically. If you believe that this
> not correct, you can update the md5sum entry executing the following
> command:
> md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf | sudo tee /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
> otherwise edit manually /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change the Driver section
> from nv to nvidia.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

It just says that your xorg.conf isnĀ“t default anymore and therefore to
prevent accidently overriding it checks it with the md5sum of xorg.conf
and compares it with the default hash.

two possibilities:
1. edit xorg.conf manually
   which is basically:
		      - alter the line >  Driver  "nv" 		> to
				       >  Driver  "nvidia"
		      - add:
			Section "DRI"
        		Mode    0666
			EndSection

                        to the end of xorg.conf

2. run
md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf | sudo tee /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
then again
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

which will do the same then.

[hint]
...nobody ever sad you are not allowed to backup your xorg.conf somewhere.
[/hint]  ;)

HTH Thilo
--
i am on Ubuntu 2.6 KDE