Gnome desktop fails to start after login

enthusiast ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Sep 13 04:17:04 UTC 2006

The problem is with an application being stuck. It is something to do
with the session start. X is working fine -- cause your mouse is
working and keyboard is working.

I created another account in this situation using the terminal login
(ctrl-alt-F1) and used useradd to add another account. I went back to
X-terminal and killed it  with ctrl-alt-backspace.

I logged in using the new account. This indicates that there is
something wrong with the inital parameters which were inherited from a
previous gnome-session.

I am not sure what is causing the problem, but I deleted all the gnome
session information .* directories and files and a orbit-<username> and
other session related files in /tmp.

My guess is that it is the orbit-<> file. Gnome is overly complicated
and relies on the CORBA object broker which relies on some TCP sockets
-- etc. -- you are relying on somebodies research project. (Miguel
Icaza's.)

AFter I tried to log in with the previously dead account and could get
in, but gnome-session failed (with corba complaining.) I rebooted and
logged in again and the gnome-session got rebuilt and everything was
working fine.

This seems to be quite a frequent problem for me. I doubt if any causal
user is ever going to figure out the possible problems with
gnome-session.

--
enthusiast