Ubuntu & Postfix

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Tue Sep 12 13:42:34 UTC 2006

Oscar;

Am Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:35:49 -0500
schrieb "Oscar Veloz" <oveloz at glasfloss.com>:

> I think postfix is up and running but how can I
> check to see if it is?  Is there not a walkthrough somewhere of how
> to test postfix? Also, how do I see what ports are listening on my
> Dapper box, and could I telnet into port 25 and test that way?

Basically, you should ensure there are some postfix processes up and
running, like this:

# ps fax
[...]
 4541 ?        Ss     1:25 /usr/lib/postfix/master
 4546 ?        S      0:43  \_ qmgr -l -t fifo -u -c
 5061 ?        S      0:00  \_ pickup -l -t fifo -u -c
 5271 ?        S      0:00  \_ trivial-rewrite -n rewrite -t unix -u -c
 5512 ?        S      0:02  \_ cleanup -z -t unix -u -c
[...]

The amount of processes up and running of course will depend on your
very machine configuration.

Then, you might want to use the "mailq" command to see whether any mail
has been queued so far. If the mail system is down, "mailq" will tell
you so. :)

After that, indeed using telnet to port 25 (or some smtp client...)
will tell you (a) whether your postfix is really listening and (b)
whether you are allowed to actually connect to it (more than that,
seeing which ports are opened on your box you might want to use nmap or
nmapfe - this is a port scanner which indeed will show you... :) ).

Besides that, having an eye on the mail system logs (/var/log/mail.*)
always is a good idea... ;)

Cheers & best,
Kris

- --
Kristian Rink *  http://zimmer428.net * jab: kawazu at jabber.ccc.de
icq: 48874445 *  fon: ++49 176 2447 2771