firefox profilemanager

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 12 05:38:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:12:24 +1000 (EST)
Stephan Vissers <vissers_itm at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I try to change my firefox profile because my current one is on my desktop and that looks not so nice with all kinds of firefox icons on it. Firefox works all fine. First I tried to reinstall but than got the warning that with deleting this stuff it would have impact on other applications, so didn't do that. Then I found some stuff on internet and I tried to do:
>
> root at www:/etc/firefox# firefox -profilemanager
>
> (firefox-bin:12778): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

You are trying to run it as root, which is a bad idea. Also if you are
logged in as your user for the gnome session or whatever window
manager/desktop you are using,  it will refuse to open for root, since the
X server is already in use by your user.

As your user ( not as root) , try typing

firefox -ProfileManager

notice the capital letters.

Peter