howmany partitions per disk possible?

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sun Sep 10 21:21:38 UTC 2006

· Thilo Six <T.Six at gmx.de>:

> Alexander Skwar wrote the following on 10.09.2006 22:35:
>> · Thilo Six <T.Six at gmx.de>:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I ran into a problem where i am not able to create partitions on my sata
>>> disk above sda16.
>>
>> Yep. Can't be done.
>
> ic hmm  :(
>
> i just thought now that i need to create new devises:
>
> $ l /dev/ | grep sda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   0 10.09.06 22:50 sda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   1 10.09.06 22:50 sda1
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  10 10.09.06 22:50 sda10
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  11 10.09.06 22:50 sda11
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  12 10.09.06 22:50 sda12
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  13 10.09.06 22:50 sda13
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  14 10.09.06 22:50 sda14
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,  15 10.09.06 22:50 sda15
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   2 10.09.06 22:50 sda2
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   3 10.09.06 22:50 sda3
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   4 10.09.06 22:50 sda4
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   5 10.09.06 22:50 sda5
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   6 10.09.06 22:50 sda6
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   7 10.09.06 22:50 sda7
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   8 10.09.06 22:50 sda8
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk      8,   9 10.09.06 22:50 sda9
>
> ..but couldn´t find a way until now.

Yep. Can't have more than 15 partitions on "SCSI". With
IDE, you can use up to 63 partitions.

>>> Any ideas howto make the end of disk available?
>>
>> Dump the outdated old-style partitioning and start using LVM.
>
> Well since it seems it is my only chance ... is there a possibilty to
> make a mixed setup.

Certainly.

> I would like to stay with current running system (without LVM) and
> additionaly use LVM only to setup the rest of disk?

Yep. You'd need to remove one of the existing partitions, though.
You'd then use this partition number to be your "Physical Volume" (PV)
which will be used to create a "Volume Group" (VG) and in this
VG you'll create as many Logical Volumes (LV, partition, if you
like) as needed. The partition would span the whole available space.

> is there an easy-LVM-howto for beginners?

I only know of one LVM howto and that's an excellent one.
See <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/>.

>> Alexander Skwar
>
> Thanks for the info

You're welcome.