Web & Audio Server Advice Sought

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:49:32 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 23:15, David Abrahams wrote:
> "Brian McKee" <brian.mckee at gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> A few questions:
> >>
> >> * If I set that up, can my wife use an iTunes client for playback?
> >
> > Yes - that's the only way we use it
>
> Excellent; she has too much invested in iTunes to switch.
>
> >> * Does it have an Apple Lossless transcoder (I have lots of music
> >> encoded that way already).
> >
> > erm - I'm not sure - I don't think you'd need to transcode it if you
> > are using an iTunes client...
>
> Makes sense.
>
> > I'd have to read some docs or just test it
>
> If you could find out fairly easily, I'd be indebted.
>
> >> * Can I export music to an iPod?
> >
> > Nope - AFAIK - iTunes won't let you copy remote music to your iPod,
> > just things in your local library
>
> Yes that's true.  But when I'm serving iTunes from iTunes, the server
> has a local library, so I can sync iPods there.
>
> > Probably only way would be to export your collection via NFS or
> > similar so if you wanted to add to your iPod you could drag and drop
> > it into your iTunes local library.
>
> That really doesn't work out too well in my experience, especially if,
> like my wife, you like to edit the "info" for tracks and albums.

I could see that - in our case a central library the end user couldn't change
was a
feature not a bug :-)  I just mentioned it as a way to be able to copy
the files across to load on the iPod.  It's not ideal I admit.

Brian

--
If your Internet access seems sluggish, just blame slow readers at the
National Security Agency - Robert X Cringley