no sound after suspend

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 7 08:39:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 19:01:21 -0400
Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> sound is very finicky
> on wake-up.  sometimes it works fine; sometimes it appears not to be
> working, but repairs magically if i hit the mute button a couple of
> times; and sometimes sound is genuinely messed up.

This may or may not work ... My first action whenever I have sound issues
( after checking if the volume settings are not muted !) is to do this in
a terminal:

killall esd

I find this often fixes the problem immediately. In fact as an experiment
I have sometimes run my system with /usr/bin/esd set to be non-executable,
and everything still worked ( except maybe system sounds, which I have
turned off because I find them annoying)

Worth a try anyway ...

Peter