How do I add old settings from Firefox to Kubuntu

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 7 08:29:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:08:06 -0700 (PDT)
Ted Quick <rim_molder at yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, I'm just rather lost in Linux so far. HOW do I find where the Firefox folder is? I've searched
> everywhere I can all over my hard drive for copies of the "prefs.js", "key3.db " and so forth, but
> can't find them anywhere. I need to transfer existing passwords from my old WinXP Firefox to the
> new Kubuntu one.

The firefox personal per-user stuff is in

/home/your-user-name/.mozilla/firefox/***.default

where *** could be various strings of numbers and letters.

Note the "dot" in front of .mozilla - your home directory has a lot of
"dot" files which become visible in the file manager  from View - Show
Hidden Files ( in Konqueror, which I assume is what you are using since
you are running Kubuntu)

Alternatively, in a terminal you can see them with for example

ls -al .mozilla

Usually each app has such a "hidden" directory or file for per-user
configuration settings, or under directories like .gnome2 etc (again note
the dot)

Peter