Postfix question

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 06:50:02 UTC 2006

Mark,

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 00:59 -0400, Mark Johanson wrote:
> Just using Postfix for localhost mail. Not getting or sending
> mail from/to anywhere. Can the SMTP (port 25) be shut off in a
> config file some where or is it just on and nothing I can do
> about it?

I thought it was off by default. That is Postfix only listens on the
local interface 127.0.0.1 by default.

> Just curious as I use my laptop both at home and at work. With
> how anal work is starting to get about scanning the network I
> would rather not have that show up in a scan. I generally know
> before hand that a scan is coming so I have just taken it off
> the network during said scans.

You can check it by running netstat. Something like:

	netstat -l -t -n

will tell you what is listening for TCP traffic and on which interface.
If somthing is only listening on port 25 on 127.0.0.1, then it won;t be
seen by an external scan.

I think someone has already said how to turn it off if you need to.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold