Postfix question

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Wed Sep 6 05:23:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:59:21AM -0400, Mark Johanson wrote:
> Just using Postfix for localhost mail. Not getting or sending
> mail from/to anywhere. Can the SMTP (port 25) be shut off in a
> config file some where or is it just on and nothing I can do
> about it?

In /etc/postfix/main.cf, you can set inet_interfaces to:

inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1

That way, port 25 will only be listening on the loopback address, and
not accessible externally. You can still use mail clients that can only
send mail via SMTP (as opposed to using /usr/sbin/sendmail), using this
method, though.

A better option would be to comment out the smtp line in
/etc/postfix/master.cf:

#smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd

That way, the smtpd isn't run at all. Your mail client will have to be
able to use /usr/sbin/sendmail, if you still plan to have postfix
transport your email, however.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584