browser fonts

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 01:26:39 UTC 2006

I have two systems both running 6.06 (KDE).  Both use the nimbus font family.
On one web pages are rendered normally, but on the other the normal font in
all browsers (konqueror, opera, firefox) seems to be bolded.  I say "seems to
be" because if there is bolded text on the page, that is stands out even from
the non-bolded, but bold-appearing font.  Needless to say, I've verified that
the browser fonts are not set to bold.  This behavior is not true for
konqueror file manager fonts.

In what may be a related symptom, the normal Times New Roman font in Open
office appears italicized whether the italic option is set or not.  It does
print normally.

The problem machine has an Intel 915 onboard video card while the normal
machine uses and ATI M7500 card.

Any ideas what's causing this or how to fox?
Paul