Triple boot:XP,ubuntu&FC5 grub failed

Robert E. Butts himco2 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 5 23:12:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 04:32 -0700, Scott wrote:
> No, Fedora Core is great. So is Ubuntu.  But GNU GRUB is a snake. No,
> it's more like a disaster area.

I wouldn't go that far.  The whole subject of dual-booting OSes is a
good deal more complex than is widely believed.  And, booting is just
one of the problems ..

I've tried booting from GRUB in the MBR, and found it problematic,
especially after doing any partitioning.

I've tried booting Linux from XP, which can be done easily, but also has
problems after partitioning.

Presently using BootItNG.  The only problem so far is that when I do
GRUB updates, I keep having to reinstall BootItNG, but that's not a big
problem.

In addition to BootItNG, I also have and use the following third party
bootloaders:

Smart Boot Manager
GRUB for DOS
GAG
Windows XP Boot Disk
the Ultimate Boot CD

and, for repairing installed systems, I use

BartPE
Knoppix
PCLOS Live CD
Ubuntu Live CD

Yes, I've had my share of boot issues, too.  The above tool collection
is my insurance policy.  Relying on any Linux distro to exclusively
handle multi-boot systems is short-sighted, in my view.