"NTLDR is missing after" (Windows) after installing Ubuntu

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 17:10:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

I decided recently to switch over to Ubuntu (32bit) from the Debian
Amd64 system I have been using for the past 3 years. I backed up
important files, wiped the Debian partition installed Dapper Drake
yesterday. So far almost everything is OK, however I have a problem
with grub. I have always been a lilo man, myself, but I have often
heard that grub is superior so I thought I would give it a try and let
Ubuntu install grub. The problem is that I can now no longer boot into
Windows. Instead I get an error message saying "NTLDR is missing". But
it IS still there where it was before (/dev/hda1)

The disk is set up like this:

/dev/hda1     64MB      Windows boot partition
/dev/hda5     40GB       Windows XP
/dev/hda6     20GB      Ubuntu 32
/dev/hda7     45GB      data
/dev/hda8     10GB       Ubuntu 64
/dev/hda9       2GB             swap

(I used the second 64bit Ubuntu to try it out for a few months before
deciding to go with the 32 bit one)

I have never used grub and am floundering to understand it right now.
I guess that when I did the install grub blew away the former MBR
(right?). I had the Windows boot files (boot.ini, NTLDR etc) on the
little partition at /dev/hda1. This WAS detected by grub and I now
have a grub file (/boot/grub/menu.1st) that looks like this:

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-386
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda6 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-386
savedefault
boot

title           Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root          (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

title           Ubuntu 6.06 on /dev/hda8
root            (hd0,7)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8
initrd          /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

I am a bit confused how I am supposed to recover the ability to
dual-boot. Do I boot up the Windows rescue CD, allow it to repair the
MBR, then boot with the Ubuntu CD and alter the grub menu? Any help
would be appreciated

Craig