Can not start some Administration applications

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 01:59:39 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, Robert E. Butts <himco2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 01:57 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> > Odd huh? I am puzzled and wonder what I should do at this point. Any
> > ideas?
>
> I would suggest trying to start one or more from the commandline using
> gksu (not sudo), for example,
>
> gksu users-admin
>
> If you can get the users module open with admin privileges, I'd suggest
> you change those UID's back to what they were before.
>
> As a workaround (not a solution) you can try adding a NOPASSWD stanza
> to /etc/sudoers.  You'll need to boot from a liveCD, mount the /
> filesystem, open /etc/sudoers and add this line where appropriate:
>
> Here's mine:
>
> # User privilege specification
> root    ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
> reb     ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
>

> # Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
> %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
>
> HTH

Thanks Robert, you lead me in the right direction. When I tried gksu
users-admin I got warnings about "unable to lookup <MyHostName> via
getbyhostname()". Turns out that I had copied some files over from old
installation (e.g. /etc/hosts) but I had entered /etc/hostname manually and
didn't put the .org at the end of my domain name. Because of this the system
silent refused access to some admin apps.

Thanks for your help.

Craig