help needed

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 11:22:10 UTC 2006

On 9/4/06, Waqas Toor <waqasnasirtoor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tod
> i tried but didnt worked as google said :) ... i just want to know
> about the usb device in dev directory ... i mean /dev/???
> my flash usb drive is kingston 256 mb
> also tell me whats is the standard com1 and com2 devices in ubuntu ???
> my system is dell inspiron 2500 laptop :)
>

> Waqas
>
> Linux *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
> If Windows is the solution, can we please have the problem back?
>
> http://waqastoor.weblog.pk
> (Registered Linux user #424056)
> ref link http://counter.li.org/

Hi Waqas!

If there is a "usb" directory in /dev you will have to "migrate" to it
to see.  However, most USB flash drives get into the /dev directory as
say "sda" :

# Here I use ls and grep to see if any sd? - insert flash drive - new result!
tod at tod-desktop:/dev$ ls | grep sd?
tod at tod-desktop:/dev$ ls | grep sd?
sda
tod at tod-desktop:/dev$

As for your question about the com ports - the serial How-To:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Serial-HOWTO/#ss4.3

Good Hunting!

Tod