Keyboard problem on restart - space doesn't work

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 03:47:42 UTC 2006

On 9/4/06, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 00:31 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have had a weird problem for some time. When I restart Ubuntu the
> > space key doesn't work. If I go into System > Preferences > Keyboard
> > and (for example) add a keyboard layout, or remove an extra keyboard
> > layout or make some other change .... then the space key will work.
> > But note - I am using the same default US keyboard layout the whole
> > time. Nothing is changing about the settings being used. It seems to
> > be that if I make ANY change in the Keyboard control panel, then the
> > space bar will start working again. Weird huh? Any ideas how to fix
> > this for good?
> Have a look in 'System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts' and make sure
> you haven't attached some other function to the space bar. I did that
> once and it took me a while to work out what was going on.

Ages ago I think I tried to set up Amarok to work like iTunes such that the
space bar would play/pause. I set it up under global settings, but then went
back to the defaults after I realized that global wasn't what I wanted. I
think the problem may have been since about that time. But in Amarok and in
Keyboard Shortcuts there is nothing assigned to space now.

Craig