searching advanced Gnome desktop settings

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 12:51:49 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Nikolaus Filus <nfilus at gmx.net> wrote:

> - In KDE I can use the mouse scroll wheel on the desktop to switch between
> workspaces. Is it also possible in gnome?

You can mouse over the workspace switcher and use your mouse wheel.

- how to switch between workspaces when mouse hits the screen edge?

You can use "Brightside" to move your mouse over the edge of the screen to
switch workspace (edge flipping).

Brightside also have configurable actions when you mouse over the corners of
the screen.

Another great tool is Devilspie

- how to force the icon labels on desktop to be cut and shown only as hint
> with
> mouse over? additionaly how to prevent "stupid" in-word wrapping?

run gconf-editor, there's alot of configurable behaviours in Metacity and
Nautilus.

see /apps/nautilus/icon_view/default_use_tighter_layout
/apps/nautilus/icon_view/labels_beside_icons