ubuntu and kubuntu

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 11:05:16 UTC 2006

On 9/2/06, Cheatah 0#@!^ <cheataah at gmail.com> wrote:
> what is the difference between ubuntu and kubuntu?? or kde and gnome??

Gnome and KDE are different environments for controlling the look of
the desktop, windows and menus. Ubuntu uses Gnome and Kubuntu uses
KDE. You can try them both by installing Ubuntu and then using
Synaptic to install kubuntu-desktop. (or vice-versa, I believe.)

There are many fans of both Gnome and KDE and the debate over which is
better has  started many senseless wars.

My own experience is that people who like the Mac interface (clean,
uncluttered, gets out of your way) or started their computing
experience on older Unix systems *tend* to like Gnome a bit better,
while people from the Windows world or who like to tweak every aspect
of their system (so that they can launch a dozen applications, pay
their bills and wash the dishes with one keystroke) *tend* to like
KDE. Try both and make up your own mind.

Most applications run on either, so you aren't making a choice between
different sets of applications, although a KDE application will look a
bit out of place on Gnome (and vice versa).

-Eamonn