Network settings

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 01:50:32 UTC 2006

On 9/1/06, Donald Wayne Chandler <mrwchandler84 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Tod,
>
> I thought I was doing the same things you listed, but something keeps
> changing the line in /etc/network/interfaces to "iface eth0 inet dhcp".
>   Again, I have to change "System >Administration Networking" back to
> the profile I named "Home" (the only profile I have created), then add
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.X.X
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.X.X
>
> back into the interfaces file.
>
> I'm trying to resolve this so I can cut down on headaches and medicinal
> alcohol.
>

> Thanks,
> Wayne
>
> Tod Merley wrote:
> > On 9/1/06, Donald Wayne Chandler <mrwchandler84 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have 6.06 LTS on my Dell Inspiron 700m laptop on a home DSL
> > connection.  The network setting keeps defaulting to DHCP when I boot
> > up, and it won't connect.  Even though I have a network profile created,
> > I have to manually set gksu network-admin to Static IP, and edit
> > /etc/network/interfaces to remove the "auto eth0" entry.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong with gksu network-admin, or is there a better
> > network app I could be using?
> >

> - --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> >>

> > Hi Donald Wayne Chandler!
>
> > If it were not for the fact that our little DSL modem's DNS nameserver
> > will not handle IPv6-DNS queries I would gladly use it's DHCP server
> > to obtain and set my IP settings.  As it is, setting up a static IP (I
> > hope my IP never changes it's nameserver addresses) is an easy "fix"
> > to this problem
>
> > "gksu network-admin" is what the "launcher" of "System >Administration
> Networking" is and is what I used to set up my static IP.  Please
> > note my /etc/network/interfaces file:
>
> > tod at tod-desktop:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
>

> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 192.168.X.X
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.X.X
>
> > auto eth1
> > iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> > auto eth2
> > iface eth2 inet dhcp
>
> > auto ath0
> > iface ath0 inet dhcp
>
> > auto wlan0
> > iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>

> > auto eth0
> > tod at tod-desktop:~$
>
> > I have never edited this file!!  The system works fine and comes up
> > with the network and Internet access active.
>
> > When I was in the "Network Settings" window I clicked on the "Ethernet
> > connection" and then hit the "Properties" button.  In the resulting
> > "Interface properties" window I checked the "Enable this connection"
> > box chose "Static IP address" in the "Configuration" drop down and set
> [...]
Hi again Donald Wayne Chandler,

Profiles?  Saved?

Are you using "Network Manager"?

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

I do not (it is a desktop attached via Ethernet cable - never hits a
"hot spot").

My guess, if so, would be that you need to re-do (or perhaps re-make)
your profile.

Did find a tutorial:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_Configure_Ubuntu.2FKubuntu_with_WPA_using_Network-Manager

And there are many out there to find via Google.

Good Hunting!

Tod