SquirrelMail Installation Issues

Karl-Heinz Schulz karlheinz at khschulz.com
Fri Sep 1 22:29:57 UTC 2006

I try to install Squirrelmail on an Ubuntu – Postfix system but ran into the
following problem
charlie at mail:~$ sudo apt-get install squirrelmail
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
  squirrelmail-decode php4-pear imapproxy
Recommended packages:
  squirrelmail-locales ispell aspell aspell-bin
  squirrelmail
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 595kB of archives.
After unpacking 3584kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/universe squirrelmail 2:1.4.6-1
[595kB]
Fetched 595kB in 3s (165kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package squirrelmail.
(Reading database ... 23677 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking squirrelmail (from .../squirrelmail_2%3a1.4.6-1_all.deb) ...
Setting up squirrelmail (1.4.6-1) ...
Default squirrelmail config (config_default.php) not found.
Run /usr/sbin/squirrelmail-configure as root to configure/upgrade config.
charlie at mail:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/squirrelmail-configure
No configuration file found. Please get config_default.php
or config.php before running this again. This program needs
a default config file to get default values.
charlie at mail:~$ cd /etc/squirrelmail
charlie at mail:/etc/squirrelmail$ ls
conf.pl

Squirrelmail was installed earlier (but not working) and I removed it plus
the /etc/squirrelmail directory.
What do I need to do to address the problem?
TIA