fixing font tininess running nv driver

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Sep 1 02:51:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 15:39 -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> hi,
>
> on my new laptop (dell latitude d820, nvidia graphics) my gigantic
> 17" (didn't realize how huge that was) screen is very crisp, and looks
> great if i run the proprietary nvidia driver.  however that driver
> doesn't suspend properly, and since suspend is essential...  i use nv.
> and when i run nv, all fonts display very cramped and tiny.  in some
> apps it's no sweat to make fonts bigger etc, but in others it's harder.
> my sense is that i need to do something to the screen resolution or
> something, but the gnome screen res tool won't atually let me change the
> resolution (maybe 'cause the lcd monitorsreally only have one native
> resolution?)
>
> anyway, i feel it ought to be possible to fix this, any suggestions?

You've got a couple options. You can change the DPI setting of the X
display so that fonts are drawn larger by default, or you can choose
larger fonts. To change either of these, you'll need to go to the Fonts
preferences dialog (System/Preferences/Font).

To change the various font sizes, simply click the various buttons you
see on the main panel.

To change the DPI, click the "Details" button, and change the
"resolution". You'll need to compute this value. For me, I have a 14"
monitor displaying 1400x1050 pixels, so I compute sqrt(1400^2+1050^2)/14
to get 125 dpi. Once I set the resolution to 125 dpi (from the default
of 96), my fonts display quite a bit larger.

You can also set the "Subpixel smoothing" option here, too.

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org