Ubuntu thinks Firefox is running when it isn't.

Donald R. Ziesig Donald at Ziesig.org
Thu Oct 19 14:35:12 UTC 2006

Hi all!

I have a minor problem.  Dapper Drake (32-bit AMD), updated to its
latest and greatest, is giving me problems with Firefox.

It always, even as the first thing after a re-boot, thinks that Firefox
is running.  I get a dialog box that says:  "Firefox is already open but
is not responding.  To open a new window you must first close the
existing Firefox process or restart your system."

There is no sign of Firefox, mozilla or any of its relatives in top or ps.

How can I convince it that Firefox is NOT running?

Thanks,

donz