mbox question

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Tue Oct 31 09:38:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 09:02 +0000, David Hart wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:23:46AM -0700, wade at wadesmart.com wrote:
> > Im looking at my evolution folder. I see the different folders I created
> > with my various emails in them.
> > The inbox file is the largest of them all. Is every single email that I
> > have received stored in that Inbox file and then messages in the
> > folders are just linked there?

Messages that aren't sent to a different folder via filters will be
stored in the Inbox.

When you move a message from one folder to another folder, a copy is
written to the file for the destination folder.  However, the copy in
the original folder is kept (marked as deleted, as David indicated)
until it is explicitly removed.

> I don't have Evolution available to check at the moment but AFAIR
> evolution only _marks_ mails as deleted when you delete or move a
> message from a folder.  To physically remove the messages from the
> mbox folder there is an option somewhere in the menus to purge the
> deleted messages.

Correct.  Deleted messages are actually removed in the following ways:
1: File->Empty trash
2: Folder-Expunge
3: on exit from Evolution, if you set the preference
	Empty trash folders on exit
(That is found in Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->General)