About X on server

Ulrich Steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Mon Oct 30 15:53:25 UTC 2006

Am Montag, den 30.10.2006, 22:27 +0800 schrieb Stephen Liu:
> Hi Derek,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> > I don't know how you use to work with your servers. Personally I
> > usually
> > connect to them thru SSh from a Windows/Linux desktop, so I use that
> > desktop
> > to browse and then,
>
> This server has not been completely setup yet.  Neither it is connected
> to a workstation.
>
> This is a test, not for production, in order to absorb knowhow in
> building a web server.  I hope to get all setup/config done in one PC.
>
> B.R.
> Stephen

well, then you're right in the middle of 'knowing how' :-)
in most cases you don't want X on a server, so setting up ssh is
essential for that matter. if you insist on having a gui on the server,
install (k|x)ubuntu-desktop. whatever you prefer...
but i would advise against, cause on a production system, you most likey
will have no X.

just my 2 euro cents ;)

ulrich