Dapper to Edy upgrade successful

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Mon Oct 30 05:41:08 UTC 2006

John DeCarlo wrote:
> On 10/29/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29/10/06, H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I upgraded Dapper to Edgy on a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop. It went quite
>>> smoothly. I just changed "dapper" with "edgy" in /etc/apt/sources.list
>>> file and did 'sudo apt-get update' and then 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'.
>
> Just a note that this is not guaranteed to work.
>
>>From the Ubuntu-Dev mailing list, discussing the causes of problems
> with upgrading:
>
> * Using apt-get dist-upgrade rather than upgrade-manager
>   - Could this be  reduced by emphaising on the release notes, on
> ubuntu.com and in the support channels, the correct way to upgrade?

Doesn't the upgrade manager simply call apt-get or aptitude, which in
turn call dpkg as part of their function?

I have read on the ubuntu forum that aptitude is recommended over
apt-get because it is better with dependency issues. dselect is also
better. Finally, dpkg can get you out of jams when a package wants to
overwrite files owned bye another package.

Art Edwards