Root user permission

Matthew Nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Fri Oct 27 20:10:21 UTC 2006

are you sure your root? the default set up is that root has a random
password, so, unless you changed the root password, and then su'd to
root, odds are you are just a "regular" user, who has sudo rights.

to set a root password:

sudo passwd root
<it will prompt twice for a new password>

to become root:
su
<it will prompt for root password>

to change ownership of file/directories:

to change permissions:
chmod <options> <permissions to change to> <files>

however, you should avoid root at all costs. just using sudo <command>
should do the trick. I never actually su to root, except on the very,
very rare occasion where i want a root shell.

--
Matthew Nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com>
sjoeboo.com