usplash resolution 'out of range' after edgy upgrade

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 16:12:07 UTC 2006

So I had an edgy upgrade that went bad. I think I somehow ended up
with a half-done upgrade, because a package that was to be upgraded
called libdirectfb-dev was clashing with another package panda3d. It
looked like libdirectfb-dev wanted to replace some file but couldn't,
because panda3d was depending on the file, and so libdirectfb-dev
could not be upgraded and a bunch of other stuff following that
couldn't be upgraded either. So when I thought the upgrade had
finished and restarted the machine, x failed to start.

I was able to use the command line to uninstall panda3d and complete
the upgrade, and get x working again. But... at startup and shutdown,
when I should see the new usplash, all I'm getting is a message from
my monitor saying 'signal out of range'. The monitor is an HP1740.
Which config file do I have to change to fix this?