RAlink RT61 not working in Edgy

Johan Ramm-Ericson ubuntu at ramm-ericson.se
Fri Oct 27 09:19:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, October 27, 2006 Joe Harrison wrote:
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:10:25 +1100
> From: "Joe Harrison" <aloysius7 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: RAlink RT61 not working in Edgy
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
> 	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> ralink RT61 is the chipset. the card is a pcmcia dlink dwl-g630.
>
> Ralink release drivers for linux. They are one of the few manufacturers
> that
> do. Its really dissappointing that Edgy doesnt support it by default.
> There
> is no excuse...
>
> On 10/27/06, Peter Brook <drpeter.brook at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> *Joe Harrison <aloysius7 at gmail.com>* wrote:
>>
>> For the life of me I cannot get my RALink pcmcia card working in Edgy.
>> After some playing around it worked fine in Dapper but its well broken
>> in
>> edgy. Has anyone got this card working...and if so how?
>> --
>> Joe Harrison
>> 0403-082-123
>> aloysius7 at gmail.com
>> http://www.taswaterfalls.com
>>
>> Registered Linux User: #396104
>> Somehow I knew in hell there would be mushrooms. - Guybrush Threepwood
>> --
>>

>> Hi Joe
>>
>> Sorry, I am assuming RA Link is a wireless network card
>>
>> I have problems with internal Intersil (Prism) 3890 and seperately a USB
>> card that I have posted to the group and as yet have been unable to
>> resolve.
>>
>> There have been quite a few postings with other WiFi card problems too.
>> Although the internal card may have a problem with associated "launch
>> key"
>> on the laptop and I did not get it working on Dapper, the USB card
>> worked
>> fine on Dapper, but not Edgy - in fact it now seems to have fried itself
>> and
>> will not work at all...
>>
>> I wonder if anyone with a little more knowledge/skill in the area could
>> tell us if there is a problem in Edgy , and if so whether it will be
>> fixed
>> or if there is a work-around.  Otherwise, can anyone recommend a PCMCIA
>> card
>> or USB that they know works with no problems under Edgy?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> drpeter.brook at btinternet.com

Hi Joe and Peter,

I feel for you both, running headlong into this kind of hardware trouble
seems to be a thing of the past with Linux these days. Nonetheless, please
consider that Linux development is mostly a volunteer effort, therefore
expecting every piece of hardware to be supported is a harsh demand. I
mean, each and every volunteer only has so much time on his or her
hands... Also, in general (possibly not relevant to this particular issue)
there are licensing issues to consider when manufacturers provide their
own Linux drivers. That may be another explanation as to why support for
certain hardware is not complete.

Having said that; even though you may have been through this already I
would suggest you follow the instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide
Let the mailinglist know where things start going wrong and we should have
some common ground to discuss from.

HTH,
Johan