How can one say Linux is $-free . . . ?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 11:52:09 UTC 2006

On 26/10/06, YAGNESH N DESAI <ynd at hzw.ltindia.com> wrote:

> Friends;
>
> I just shifted to Linux and have tried on laptop read a lot about the
> meaning of Free. But just was wondering is it really $-free . . . ?
>
> I have invested 40hrs and still counting on getting and installing Linux and
> trying to make it work. (Though it was fun but its not yet working to my
> full
> satisfaction and I am at it).
>
> While above time does not includes my time participating in such discussions
> and preparing pages on my experience.
>
> Also after all this efforts I am not able to compile
> many of the softwares in ubuntu I tried to compile Mplayer from its official
> site. . .
> Many of the downloads compilations are in .rpm package which means do I need
> an RedHat based Linux too on my laptop?
>
> I know I am putting a cat among the pigeons.
>
> Replies awaited . . .
>
> Yagnesh

Like anything else, you must invest time to learn how to use it. You
probably invested time in learning how to use MS Windows, you probably
invested time in learning how to drive, and you probably invested time
in studying in college.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/love.html