Linux and Open Source... What is still missing?

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Wed Oct 25 09:53:39 UTC 2006

Cc'd to the Sounder list to continue there.

>> This is a relative question since alot of people are using Windows and
>> the question might be in comparison to Windows features that the
>> current Open Source tools doesn't have.

>> Here's my list of what's stil missing.
>>
>> - Audio/Video support for Instant Messanging in commonly used
>> protocols (AOL/Aim, MSN, Yahoo!, etc.)
>> - Hardware Properties configuraitions
>> - Flashy introductions and tutorials (aka. Welcome Center)
>> - Marketing!!!

> You are totally right! Although in my opinion we are also missing the
> "easy to install" way Windows has.

I agree, but it's been noted somewhere.  There's ways to allow for a
'single click' "download" and install that still uses the repositories.
(But doesn't require doing searches yourself in Synaptic or equivalent)

The BIGGEST thing of all though I think is that there's no MS Access
equivalent in any office suite (or outside of any office suite).   The
Kexi project is going so slow that I wonder if it's actually moving..

The SECOND BIGGEST thing (and biggest thing in the home/hobby realm) is
the lack of a non-linear video editing environment that isn't hell to use.

Cheers,
Chanchao