Back to Windows...

Frank Lohmeyer frank61752 at tswireless.net
Tue Oct 24 04:30:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 13:02 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> K S Balaji wrote:
> > Hi
/snip/
> Linux distros are quite nice already. They have a long way to go to be
> very user friendly and "smooth", but in my views, they are already ahead
> of Windows. The only thing keeping Windows ahead now is the huge head
> start it has had and they way it has been marketed. If Windows were to
> have started alongside Linux distros, it would have reached nowhere.
> This, of course, IMHO.
>
> regards,
> ->HS
/snip/

I started using linux with RedHat 4.0 ... on a pair of DEC Alphas...as a
webserver and a mailserver.  At that time I ran everything from the
command line, but had absolutely no problems with the software.

When I upgraded my boxes to Intels, I also upgraded to RedHat
5.1...still no problems.  And, for the entire time, I had no
difficulties with linux and networking.  Windows didn't get networking
worked out for a "home" system until 98 2nd edition...and then only with
more downloads from M$ website.

Then one of the bigger ISPs in the area bought me out.  I missed linux
so much I went hunting and decided to try Mandrake (now Mandriva).  The
only difficulty was setting up the sound system...and that took about
two hours--mostly reading HOWTOs.  I kept Windows and eventually XP as a
dual boot so I could refer to it when I needed to fix a customer's
screwed up Windows.

Once I discovered Ubuntu, I added it as dual boot with XP, until one of
the XP updates totally hosed my box, including an almost new dual layer
dvd burner.  I still have a dual boot box...a newer one that has edgy
and 6.06 LTS.  I really like edgy, but keep the other one as a
backup...just in case I hose something in edgy.

XP gave me nothing but problems.  I still have the drive, but it will
never be run in one of my boxes again.

Frank