Program name / start command

Johan Ramm-Ericson ubuntu at ramm-ericson.se
Tue Oct 24 02:27:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 SteVe Cook wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:31:22 +0100
> From: SteVe Cook <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Program name / start command
> To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Is there an easy way to find the command to to start a program?
>

> SteVe

>From the commandline :

   apropos <keyword>

If you were searching for a browser type :

   apropos browser

It's not 100%, as you'll get some (very few actually) hits for man pages
that do not have an equivalent command but I think it's close enough...

HTH,
Johan

PS. Someone answered this question by implying that they ran every
command via the sudo command. If I interpreted the statement correctly
it means that that person was running every command as root. Please
don't do that! Sooner or later you will run into trouble and may even
kill your system....