FICS chess server in ubuntu

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 13:42:02 UTC 2006

On 10/21/06, Luqman <luqman_ngs at gmx.net> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I would like to install a chess server on my laptop to play against
> someone in the same LAN. I did not find a suitable server in Ubuntu.
> There exist a number of chess clients but for networking functionality
> you need a server that I am looking for.
>
> I hope someone in the mailinglist has an advice for me.

Hello,

Just to let you know, I'm working on a project to solve this very
problem. I created a project about 2 years ago in SourceForge called
"chesslan".

Chesslan (when done) will allow two players to play e/a other over the
internet without a chess server (essentially acting as client and
server).

http://sf.net/projects/chesslan

I recently started devoting more and more time to this project. The
GUI has been ready for some time I just need to get the callbacks and
the networking ready.

It's all done in C++ and it uses gtkmm (gtk2 with c++ bindings) as the
main library.

I'll use xmlrpc to talk to the remote computer. So the development of
the backend is faster.

If anybody wants to help me, please drop me a line. What's needed is
only callbacks and networking. It should be very easy to finish.

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html