Seeking advice on setup web server

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Fri Oct 20 14:31:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 16:31 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Ubuntu-6.06.1-LAMP-server-amd64
> Broadband connection : ethernet card via ADSL-modem --> telephone line
> Dynamic IP
>

> I finished installing LAMP-server running Ubuntu-6.06.1-server-amd64
> CD.  Now I need to make it to work as a web-server not as a
> workstation.  I don't need X running on this box.
(a) If it's a server, you shouldn't have a graphic desktop installed.
(b) get a static IP address
(c) depending on what the application(s) will be, installing LAMP for
web service is all you really need, although I would configure iptables.

If you want to also have dns and mail, the howtoforge article for Dapper
is a good guideline, but do read up on each of the components, as
knowing the mechanics of configuring a base server is really only the
beginning of being able to administer one.

I've followed both the Dapper and the ISP Server guides.  They both
worked fine, except that I didn't like ISPConfig, and it was hell
getting it cleaned up.

hth
John